Thursday, October 15, 2009

Recycling Unsold Design Swatches

When I swatch a design, whether on request from an editor or for an independent submission, I like to let my imagination and the design process lead me where they will—that is, of course, unless the editor has specific instructions about what she expects from me. Can I work to an editor’s specific instructions or visualize exactly what I want to create and then reproduce it in yarn or thread? Absolutely. But, unleashing my imagination to create whatever it desires when the opportunity permits keeps designing fresh and new for me, even after nearly 27 years in the business.

As most any designer will tell you, the design process is often one of trial and error. Sometimes, I come up with a design element that I like but feel isn’t quite right for my current project. Instead of discarding these swatches, I collect them in a small plastic tote I keep next to my desk. Eventually, I go back through them to see what I can use in another design.

As those of you who follow me on Twitter or Facebook may know, I’ve been on a cleanup, de-clutter campaign in my office over the past week or so. Yesterday just happened to be the day that I decided to go through the aforementioned tote and decide what to do with the contents. While I knew there were quite a few swatches that I would be able to use, even I was surprised to find that I can easily put together at least 12 desigCast-off_Designsns from the cast-offs with the possibility of a half dozen more. Here is an obscure preview (right) of a few of the swatches I am planning to turn into new designs. Sorry I can’t show you more detail. In fact, the parts I’m showing you are actually parts that will change, but that’s how the design business goes. None of my editors would thank me for making public work that I submit to them!

Although I design in most areas of crochet, floral afghans have long been my signature. So, it’s not surprising that most of the cast-off motifs have a floral theme. Because there is this one unifying factor throughout, I have more options regarding what I can do with them. I can easily translate them into a couple of afghan books if I wish. I can also submit them individually to different publications. Or, I can discard the afghan idea completely and make them into something entirely different. I haven’t decided exactly what I’m going to do with them yet, but drawing on this resource of otherwise unused design work pays, both in terms of potential earnings and time that I haven’t actually wasted when I created them in the first place. So remember, hang on to those little doodlings you do with your crochet hook and your fiber of choice. They are almost as good as money in the bank if you happen to be interested in a design career.

Love and recycled designs,

Brenda

No comments: