Thursday, June 12, 2008

The First Steps: Getting Started in Crochet Design

People often ask me how I got started in the design business. Although it seems simple to me now, I was overwhelmed at the process in the beginning. There was little information available then, so I began studying the publications I wanted to design for hoping it would give me some insight into how I should proceed.

Today, this is still where I recommend that you start. Every designer's path to success is a little different, but if you have a talent for designing, are able to write clear instructions and have a good understanding of the publication you want to write for, you are well-equipped to begin the submission process.

Target the publication(s) you want to design for. Then, request an editorial calendar and designer guidelines. Study them thoroughly, and be sure to follow the instructions carefully when submitting your designs. Sometimes you can find editorial calendars and/or designer guidelines on the publisher's Web site. If not, ask that they be sent to you. You can usually find the contact information on the Web site or in the publication.

Obtain issues of the target publication. Study the writing style, and do your best to use the same terms and writing style in your own instructions. Also, pay attention to what types of designs the publication contains. Although it's fruitless to submit duplicates, or even near-duplicates, of projects the publication has already printed, get a feel for the type of designs the editor is looking for. Then, come up with your own unique design that fits into the general theme of that publication.

Never submit the same design to more than one editor at a time. Although this is allowed in some writing fields, most crochet editors I know will reject a design if they know that it is in submission to another editor, even if both editors work for the same company. While this may seem harsh, it’s crucial that the editor is able to depend on the availability of a design once it has been selected.

I’ll cover more in future blog entries, but this will give you a place to start.

No comments: